Monday, July 20, 2020

What do i do with 30lbs of meat...

Had a small grocery list so i headed to our local Military Commissary, because I am trying to keep under budget this month.  What do I spy but the BEST deal i have ever seen on chicken breast...  only 93 cents a pound!  This generally goes for $4-6 a pound at our local grocery stores.  Nearby the ground lean sausage was only $1/lb.  I really felt like i had hit the jackpot, bought a total of 30lbs...

On my way home I considered going back for more, but didn't ;)

Some quick googling at the grocery store and I decided to try a few 'junk' type recipes..  you know, the ones with 'can creamed soup' or those 'spice packets' and convenient 'meal helpers' because I knew realistically right now, as I am also juggling the family, farm AND working nearly full time, I just can't prep all this alone without a few 'helpers'.

Fingers crossed they turn out!

First up I did a big batch of Chicken Pot Pie using BOTH premade dough and can of generic mushroom soup.  It was pretty quick, I did the prep while the chicken baked.  I am SO in love with our 'new to us' garage fridge, it is the perfect place to freeze my meals flat then transfer to our big freezer.  I did end up with a little extra Pot Pie sauce to turned that into a soup!  4 meals down.

Next up some quick BBQ chicken bags using a 'healthy' low sugar BBQ sauce and some diced onion,  4 made, no recipe needed here, just a bottle of bbq sauce, some diced onion, fresh garlic and olive oil!

Then Balsamic Peach chicken, using this recipe, 3 of those...  wondering if it will work well in the crock pot?  hmmmm....

I bought some 'butter chicken' seasoning packets and whipped that up.  Trying to think back, i think this may be the only time i have EVER purchased a seasoning packet, LOL!  Lets hope it turns out ;)

For a fun Italian dish I made Sun Dried Tomato Chicken, I will serve this with pasta and veggies of course! Another 3 dinners down!

Who doesn't love Eggroll in a Bowl?  I believe a friend shared this recipe with me about a year ago... its a family favorite!  I don't even have a particular recipe I use, just a quick google or pinterest search and I get the basic ingredients, be sure to use plenty fresh ginger and sesame oil, those make the dish :)  4 packs ready to go, must add fresh cabbage...  on busy nights simply use cole-slaw mix!

...and more!  I was so busy finishing these meals I never finished this post. I saved SO much money doing this, most meals were only a few dollars.  Commitment and organization...

IF I made 30 dinners for 4 people at only $4 each...  normally a dinner for 4 made at home is closer to $14 and up...  meaning I saved $10 per meal, times 30...

a savings of $300!  WOW!





No comments:

Post a Comment