Sunday, March 1, 2015

Menu Plan Monday... No-Spend March!

Whew- the best solution to organize my meals for the entire month was to just do it.  I printed out a calendar from a free site and got to work!



Lucky for us I am a bit of a food hoarder, I like to prep as it saves tons of time and money.  When i find a killer sale I stock up, I freeze things people normally don't and it save us TONS.  (my Saving a Buck category will give you hints as to what I typically do) After scanning both the big freezer and the pantry I discovered that I had about a dozen prepared meals I already made ready to go.  We were also just recently gifted a wonderful shipment of Omaha Steak items so we can splurge at least once a week on those yummy items!

Getting creative I am able to fill out the entire calendar with meals I have already prepped, ones that take minimal time and only a few I need to make from scratch- and when I do I will make in large quantities!  This is ALL made from food we already have!

Along with these meals I will need to add some fresh produce.  I plan to do thrifty alternatives as I am hoping to keep our TOTAL food budget for this month at $250 for the family of four big eaters (including pet items and home care things like TP).  Okay- three big eaters and one child-sized appetite.  I will make it work!

our menu plan for all of March.  I will stick to it like glue!

Thrifty Produce Ideas(these will be my staples for the month since they are CHEAP)

Carrots:
my favorite Balsamic Carrot Salad
regular Carrot Salad
sliced and eaten raw
throw in soups and stir-frys

Kale:
my very favorite Kale Caesar Salad

Apples:
eaten whole

Bananas:
in smoothies
eaten whole
on granola and yogurt
in healthy cookies 2 Ingredient Cookies

Spinach:
salads
smoothies
sandwiches

Onions:
in everything!

Broccoli:
stirfrys
Broccoli Salad
to dip in hummus

Cabbage:
with tacos
with fish
in sandwiches
as coleslaw

Sprouts(grow my own):
salads
sandwiches & wraps
taco night

Im hoping we will have leftovers many of the days to carry over to lunch for the following.  I also plan on making a lot of sandwiches for lunches, oats for breakfast and anything else I can scrounge up :)
full pantry and freezer. (hidden agenda: organize this chaos! )


Here is to a very frugal March!!!  Curious as to why we are doing a No-Spend Month?  This post HERE will tell you more!  Come back to follow my journey!  Im excited to share my progress!

Like menus?  Check out OrgJunkie for more!

2 comments:

  1. We are doing a month of no-spend as well, we need to get ahead for school tuition and traveling though so a bit of a different situation than yours, but a need we feel none-the-less. We aren't as stocked as you so we have a grocery budget, but it is quite small since we live in an area with really low grocery prices. Good luck, I can't wait to follow your journey of no-spend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yay! thank you for posting- I can't wait to follow your journey as well! This is actually our 2nd no spend month since last summer :D

      Delete